For a party tiny little bite sized desserts are fun. This is a really simple homemade dessert that can be assembled in no time. The only thing you need to make is the topping and I have included an easy recipe for meringue.
Ingredients for Bite Sized Lemon Meringue Pies For Shells:
- Refrigerated Pie crust
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
How to make bite sized pie shells
- Unroll refrigerated pie crust and cut circles using a 2? biscuit cutter. Two crusts make about 36 shells — more if you re-roll the scraps.
- Place circles of dough into a mini muffin tin. I used a wooden tool to press the dough evenly into the pan.
- Prick the bottom of the shell generously with a fork. Bake according to package. Mine baked about 8 minutes until they were nicely golden brown.
Make Lemon filling
- Mix all the ingredients together in a heavy bottom sauce pan. I shake the water and cornstarch together in a jar first and then add them to the pan to avoid lumps.
- Bring to a rolling boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Chill or cool before using.
- Place filling ( cool!!) in a pastry bag or clip off the end of a lemon filling sleeve and fill each shell. Chocolate filling would also be nice!
- Make a meringue to top the little pies.
- Beat 3 egg whites, 6 tablespoons of granulated sugar, 1/4 tsp cream of tatar with an electric mixer until stiff glossy peaks are formed. Place meringue in a pastry bag fitted with a large plain round tip.
- Squeeze meringue onto each mini pie.
- I purchased a hand held micro torch to brown the tops
- Lightly brown the tops of each pie and you have a beautiful and delicious dessert! I would think that the meringues could also be browned quickly in the oven on broil.