Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini
Tender zucchini shells stuffed with a mixture of Italian sausage, tomatoes, zucchini and onions, then topped with Parmesan cheese
(makes 8 zucchini boats)
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 14 ounces Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In large pot of water to boil while also preheating the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh using a spoon, so each zucchini boat; is about 1/4-inch thick.
- Put the zucchini in the boiling water and let them cook for a minute, then remove them from the water. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish, then add the marinara sauce so it covers the bottom of the pan.
- In a large pan, brown the sausage and break it up into smaller pieces while it is cooking. Once browned thoroughly, set it aside. Add the oil to the pan and add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper and let them cook on medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the sausage and some salt and pepper to the pan, letting everything cook together for another 2-3 minutes.
- Use a spoon to scoop the sausage mixture into the zucchini (each should hold about 1/3 cup of sausage). Top each zucchini with a sprinkle of tomatoes, a tablespoon of mozzarella, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for about 35 minutes, or the cheese is melted.
Recipe adapted from 12tomatoes