Swiss rolls are perfect for breakfast, tea time, kids party and what not!
Homemade swiss roll tastes even better than store-bought ones. You will find no difficulty at all in making this recipe, it requires only the basic ingredients and yet tastes so good! Instead of using Nutella, you can always use any type of jam or if you’re feeling a little bit fancy go for whipping cream.
Makes 7-8 slices.
For the Sponge Cake:
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of plain flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1 tbsp of vanilla essence
For the Filling:
- 2-3 tbsp of Nutella Hazelnut Sprea
- Icing Sugar
- Mix the egg yolks with sugar and honey until creamy and pale. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites at room temperature and add two drops of lemon juice. Whisk until the egg whites become foamy.
- Incorporate the beaten eggs to the egg yolk/sugar mixture and stir from the bottom to top. Sift in flour and add the vanilla extract.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, Gas 6). Cover a 18×13-inch baking tray with parchment paper, pour this mixture on top, use spatula to level the batter evenly and bake it for just 6 minute (don’t let it become brown).
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, remove the parchment paper, place on a wire rack and sprinkle some sugar all over (this will prevent the water from evaporating and it will keep the pastry soft and moist). Cover with a transparent plastic wrap and let it cool down for at least 10 minutes.
- Peel off plastic wrap and drop a few tablespoons of jam or Nutella at the top of the base, spread it over the cake making sure not to cover the whole surface but leaving the border “clean”. Roll the cake. Dust with icing sugar before serving.