HOBOKEN, N.J. (November 27, 2022) – Senior Conor Coffey had a game-high 15 factors and junior Mike Goodall completed with 12 factors and 5 steals because the Stevens Institute of Know-how males’s basketball workforce defeated Rutgers-Newark 72-56 Sunday in a non-conference matchup at Canavan Area.
Sophomore Jack Spellman crammed the stat sheet with seven factors, six boards and 6 blocks and first-year Matt Leming got here off the bench to sink 4 threes for the Geese, who received their second straight to enhance to 2-4.
Tyrone Bowens and Jordan Salisbury every got here off the bench to attain 13 factors to steer Rutgers-Newark, who misplaced its third straight in falling to 1-5. Stevens has received every of the final three conferences between the groups.
After utilizing an inconceivable comeback to win their final recreation, the Geese did not want that kind of effort to defeat the Scarlet Raiders. Stevens almost led wire-to-wire, with Rutgers-Newark claiming its solely lead of the sport after Travis Miles had a fast-break dunk for the primary factors of the sport. Spellman discovered a chopping Brett Bischoping for the Geese’ first basket of the sport on the following possession. Bischoping then discovered a wide-open Goodall for a nook three to place Stevens up for good. The Geese discovered the mark from lengthy vary all through the sport, making 10 of their 22 photographs (.455) from behind the arc.
Whereas the Geese had been on track on their 3-point makes an attempt, Rutgers-Newark was ice chilly from behind the arc, capturing simply 11.1% (2 for 18), which is the Scarlet Raiders’ worst efficiency from behind the arc since Jan. 6, 2018 (1 for 10 (.100) towards William Paterson).
Stevens used a 10-0 run within the first half to construct a double-digit lead. Spellman sparked the run with a layup after which fed Leming for a 3. The Geese’ sharpshooter would hit one other three, which was adopted by a fast-break basket from Coffey, which pressured a Rutgers-Newark timeout. Whereas the Geese had been swooping and hooping their approach to a 21-6 lead, additionally they turned up the defensive depth, holding Rutgers-Newark scoreless for almost 5 minutes.
The Scarlet Raiders trimmed the Geese’ double-digit result in simply 4 factors after scoring 4 factors of the second half, however Bischoping stored possession for Stevens with a key offensive rebound that led to a Goodall basket, earlier than hitting a jumper of his personal to push the lead again to eight.
Stevens’ lead would fluctuate between 5 and eight factors earlier than a technical foul towards the Rutgers-Newark bench led to a pair of free throws for Leming. Leming then drained a protracted three to attain 5 factors in 5 seconds, to push the Geese’ lead again to a snug 13 factors.
Junior Alex Ratner hit a brief jumper to push the result in 16 and graduate pupil Connor Strambi made a pair of free throws to offer the Geese their largest lead of the sport at 65-46. Strambi completed with 9 factors and 4 rebounds, whereas ending a team-high +23.
- With Rutgers-Newark chopping into the Geese’ lead with slightly below two minutes left in regulation, Coffey discovered an open Spellman on the left block. Spellman made the straightforward layup, whereas additionally absorbing contact from Shy’Heed Jenkins-Floyd.
- Spellman made the following free throw to push the lead again to 16, successfully ending any comeback bid by the Scarlet Raiders.
Contained in the Numbers
- With their 10 threes, the Geese have recorded consecutive video games with double-digit makes from behind the arc for the primary time since early final season (Nov. 28-Dec. 4), when the Geese reeled off three straight video games with not less than 10 threes.
- Stevens shot 52.2% for the sport, which included a blistering 11 of 19 (57.9%) within the second half.
- Rutgers-Newark held a 37-32 edge on the boards, together with a 16-6 margin on the offensive glass. The benefit in offensive rebounds led to a 14-6 edge for the Scarlet Raiders in second-chance factors.
- Every workforce acquired 29 factors off the bench.
- Bischoping completed with a career-high three blocks and three steals.
- Coffey completed with a game-high six assists and has 13 helpers over his final two video games.
- The Geese recorded 18 assists on 24 baskets.
- Goodall’s 5 steals marked a career-high.
- The Geese made a season-high 14 free throws.
From the Sidelines – Head Coach Bobby Hurley
- “Actually pleased with right now’s efficiency. I assumed we had been fairly locked in defensively and we did a very good job of working collectively on the offensive finish to seek out good photographs.”
- Males’s Basketball opens MAC Freedom play on Nov. 30 at Delaware Valley.
- The Geese have earned victories in every of the three contested contests between the applications, with Delaware Valley incomes one win by forfeit.
- A hyperlink for dwell stats is posted to StevensDucks.com.
Fb: “Like” Stevens Athletics