Dr Greg Casey joins me this week to debate the historical past of lager yeast, and its evolution in brewing.
Subscribe on iTunes to Audio model or Video model or Spotify or Google Play
Obtain the MP3 File– Proper Click on and Save As to obtain this mp3 file.
Subjects in This Week’s Episode (50:07)
- This week I welcome again Dr Greg Casey. Greg has an in depth historical past in brewing at Annheuser-Bush, Purple Star Yeast, Stroh, Coors, Molson and Millers. He has a PhD in Utilized Microbiology and was President of the American Society of Brewing Chemists from 2005-2006.
- We begin with a dialogue of the standing of Greg’s 5 quantity set on the historical past of Adjunct Lager we mentioned in episode 248. Greg has two volumes popping out as early as this Fall and is engaged on the third quantity.
- We begin with a dialogue of what lager yeast is and the way it’s traditionally and essentially completely different than ale yeasts.
- Greg shares what he discovered working for a whole profession in lots of the bigger US lager breweries.
- We speak concerning the state-of-the-art in lager yeast brewing again in 1979 when he began his profession.
- I ask what’s modified within the final 44 years with regard to our understanding of lager yeast.
- Greg shares a bit concerning the genetic and historic origins of lager yeast.
- We focus on nature vs nurture and the way each have performed essential roles in lager yeast evolution.
- Greg explains the differnce between the Carlsburg and Tubor lager yeasts and the way each variations are nonetheless utilized in producing adjunct lagers.
- Greg discusses how the fast achieve in genetics and microbiology have formed how we now have a look at lager yeast.
- We focus on how he’s integrated a lot of what he discovered into his 5 quantity set on adjunct lagers.
- Greg shares his closing ideas.
Because of Dr Greg Casey for showing on the present and likewise to you for listening!
iTunes Bulletins: I launched a brand new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! In the mean time it should solely function the brand new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes can be found on my revamped Youtube channel. Additionally all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so seize the older episodes for those who missed any.
Ideas on the Podcast?
Go away me a remark under or go to our dialogue discussion board to go away a remark within the podcast part there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You possibly can take heed to all of my podcast episodes streaming dwell across the clock on our BeerSmith Radio on-line radio station! You can even subscribe to the audio or video utilizing the iTunes hyperlinks under, or the feed tackle
And eventually, don’t overlook to subscribe to the weblog and my publication (or use the hyperlinks within the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on residence brewing.
Associated Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
Do not make one other unhealthy batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a strive – you will brew your finest beer ever.
Obtain a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now