You’ll be amazed at the bright flavor of homemade mayonnaise. It’s really very simple and fast to make with a blender or processor. Variations are given for flavored mayonnaise as well.
Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cup
- 2 large egg yolk*
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cup canola oil, divided
- Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.
- Using 1/4 teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add 3/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color).
- Cover and chill. do ahead Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.
To make aioli, add 1 minced garlic clove to the egg mixture, and substitute extravirgin olive oil for the canola oil.
* Raw egg is not recommended for infants, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems. To avoid the risk of salmonella infection, you can use pasteurized egg yolk instead.
Recipe credit: epicurious.comHomemade Mayonnaise