Plump, darkish fruit flavors; smoky-sweet end—These are all widespread tasting notes to explain magenta-tinged Malbec from Argentina.
Right this moment, Argentina drives manufacturing of the French-native grape with over 75% of all of the acres of Malbec on this planet. Primarily, Argentina reinvigorated Malbec as one of many prime 18 worthy grapes, rising in seven international locations and in reputation, therefore World Malbec Day on Monday, April seventeenth.
Beginning Monday, April seventeenth (via Sunday, April twenty third), BALVANERA, New York Metropolis’s main Argentine restaurant on the Decrease East Aspect, is inviting friends to boost a glass of purple throughout its annual, weeklong salute to the mighty Malbec grape.
“Our celebration is an invite for our friends to discover the infinite prospects that Malbec has to supply us from the completely different corners of our great nation,” shares Nicolás Martianhes, sommelier at BALVANERA.
BALVANERA showcases the regional spirit via Buenos Aires-porteña platos and South American wines (100+ labels on lock) following the premise of sustainable viticulture and natural farming.
“BALVANERA is residence of the perfect Argentine wines, starting from the world-renowned all-stars to the lesser-known gems, all deserving of a spot on the desk and within the bigger dialog that’s taking place in regards to the magnitude of South American wines,” describes co-owner and head chef Fernando Navas, whom anchors his upbringing in Punta Alta into the providing.
Take a look at the weeklong lineup of producers, pours, and extra, under. “We‘re excited to pay homage to my nation’s iconic grape in the course of the weeklong feast,” Navas concludes.
Malbec Week Particulars
Dates: Monday, April seventeenth to Sunday, April twenty third, 2023 Location: Balvanera at 152 Stanton St., New York, NY 10002
• A tasting of six Malbec wines showcasing the expressions of terroir from distinctive areas throughout Argentina, together with Rio Negro, Patagonia, Valle de Uco, and Paraje Altamira | $50.00
Featured Wine Tasting:
• ‘This isn’t one other pretty Malbec’ 2021, Riccitelli Wines, Valle de Uco, Mendoza
• ‘La Posta Paulucci’ Malbec 2020, Ugarteche, Luján de Cuyo, Mendoza
• ‘Rocamadre’ Malbec 2020, Paraje Altamira, Valle de Uco, Mendoza
• ‘Concreto’ Malbec 2021, Bodega Zuccardi, Paraje Altamira, Valle de Uco, Mendoza
• ‘J. Alberto’ Malbec 2021, Bodega Noemia, Mainqué, Río Negro
• ‘Malamado’ fortified Malbec, Bodega Zuccardi, Mendoza
A listing of award-winning Malbec wines hardly ever supplied by the glass.
Michel Rolland’s exemplary ‘Yacochuya’ from Cafayate, Salta; Catena Zapata’s memorable ‘Malbec Argentino,’ and Bodega Monteviejo’s ‘La Violeta’ by winemaker Marcelo Pelleretti. | $30.00 to $50.00 per glass
• A possibility to Meet the Producer.
• Matthew Haeberle, Ambassador for Bodega Zuccardi, on Wednesday, April nineteenth between 5:00pm and 10:00pm. Haeberle might be pouring a collection of the vineyard’s prime Malbecs.
• Virginie Rolland, Ambassador for Michel Rolland Wines, on Thursday, April twentieth, between 5:00pm and 10:00pm. Rolland might be sharing the secrets and techniques of her household’s wines in Argentina.
• A nightly providing of Balvanera’s signature “Argentine Feast” Sometimes out there Tuesday via Thursday, the tasting-for-two feast includes do-it-yourself empanadas, provoleta, and particular carnes (morcilla, chorizo, entraña, and grass-fed striploin and ribeye) served with basic chimichurri and salsa criolla sauces, recent greens, and crispy house-cut fries. | $80.00 for 2