Gentle vodka manufacturers are gaining traction amongst health-minded people who need to sip an occasional cocktail with out the additional carbohydrates and energy (and even alcohol). Whereas gentle vodka would possibly sound unusual to those that by no means heard of it, the pattern is actual – and gaining momentum by the day.
Regardless of myriad naysayers who proclaimed that customers would by no means settle for low-carb, low-calorie, or “more healthy” vodka, decided distillers proceed to show in any other case. The primary gentle vodka manufacturers have already smashed by the primary obstacles to success, and so they intend to proceed to increase their market share, as tendencies towards upward with lighter alcoholic drinks.
THE BEGINNING OF “LIGHT”
Early distillers crafting low-calorie spirits knew they may acquire healthful, fitness-minded shoppers. They discovered encouragement and inspiration by trying on the historical past of the primary breweries to supply a “gentle beer” choice.
The “gentle beer” idea dates to Coors Brewing Firm, a neighborhood Colorado brewery. They first launched and marketed their Coors Gentle product within the early Forties (reintroduced within the late 70s). Simply because the advertising and marketing marketing campaign started to catch on, the USA entered World Warfare II, placing the product on maintain. Coors Brewing Firm reintroduced a lighter, 4.2% alcohol by quantity (ABV) lager to receptive shoppers in 1978.
Earlier than the reintroduction of Coors Gentle to Individuals, Miller Brewing Firm grew to become the primary American brewery to seek out business success within the gentle beer area of interest. In 1967, they obtained the recipe for and rebranded Gablinger’s Weight loss program Beer, simplifying the identify to Miller Lite. The model dominated the marketplace for a quick time earlier than different breweries adopted the notion.
Why did the opposite breweries – like Coors – soar into the sport?
As a result of shoppers cherished it. They might “have their cake and eat it, too.” That’s to say, match, wholesome folks – primarily younger, hip adults – may bask in a social drink or two with out ruining their health objectives.
Immediately’s gentle vodka manufacturers look to the innovators who developed gentle beer and see the immense alternative.
WHAT IS VODKA LIGHT?
To know why somebody would select a lightweight vodka model over a conventional competitor requires an outline of the variations between them.
Vodka is a distilled spirit historically made out of potatoes or grains. It originated in japanese Europe, however at present folks world wide get pleasure from vodka. Its impartial, unflavored type has a crisp, clear, nearly tasteless chew.
Listed here are just a few of the first variations when evaluating conventional and lightweight vodka manufacturers:
This information could fluctuate from one model to the subsequent. These numbers characterize averages – at all times test the producer’s label or web site for exact data.
- Most American vodka distilleries have a minimal of 40% ABV or roughly eighty proof –though some manufacturers are increased, even 100 proof.
- One shot of vodka, which equals 1.5 fluid ounces, comprises between 97 to 115 energy, relying on the model.
- Some vodka distillers provide flavored choices; these can introduce synthetic flavors and sugar (not cool).
As with conventional manufacturers, test every vodka producer for probably the most particular data.
- Gentle vodka reduces ABV to round 30% or about 60-proof. This slight discount in ABV permits shoppers the advantage of sharing cocktails with pals however waking up with no hangover.
- A single shot of sunshine vodka comprises between 65 to 86 energy, various a bit between manufacturers (ours comprises 86). The calorie variations can add up rapidly for those who bask in multiple cocktail.
- Some gentle vodka distillers provide flavors; nevertheless, respected distilleries are prone to embody solely high-quality, entire components as an alternative of flavorings – honoring their clients’ energetic and wholesome existence (we try this!).
REPUTABLE LIGHT VODKA BRANDS
A number of gentle vodka manufacturers can be found at present, lots of them are regional – however plan to increase nationwide (we’re increasing, too). Others have already got a nationwide market share, with family-owned craft distilleries nipping at their heels. Look ahead to these three more and more well-liked manufacturers:
Swap Vodka, crafted by 52eighty Distilling in Littleton, Colorado, gives three gentle vodkas. Their flavored choices use solely the pure juices of recent fruits and herbs – no synthetic components.
All their flavors are sugar-free, decrease in energy and carbs than conventional vodka, and freed from synthetic components. Their three flavors are excellent for the wholesome, energetic client.
- Vodka Gentle Spirit: This vodka has a crisp, impartial taste and is a 60-proof, 30% ABV spirit. It has no discernable aftertaste and a pleasing mouthfeel. It might disguise in something it’s combined with, or sipped by itself.
- Pomegranate Lemongrass: The fruity style of pomegranate, balanced in opposition to the zesty lemongrass, makes this 60-proof, 30% ABV vodka a success with these in search of refreshing cocktails.
- Peach Basil: The juiciness of peaches and recent basil is a traditional taste mixture that clients can’t get sufficient of in a 60-proof, 30% ABV vodka.
Yow will discover Swap Vodka at a number of Colorado/nationwide retailers, together with Entire Meals. The corporate has a cult following and plans to develop its footprint. For now, you possibly can strive their product by on-line ordering.
Keel Vodka, a lightweight vodka model produced in Idaho, additionally enjoys wild reputation amongst fitness-minded folks. They provide their clients one well-crafted, unflavored vodka made out of Idaho potatoes. This spirit touts its super-low 23.8% ABV and has a clear end.
Keel additionally makes a glowing soda drink with simply 4% ABV; it is available in these refreshing fruit flavors:
- Lemon lime
- Blue raspberry
- Blood orange
Keel’s distribution is primarily within the western United States, with restricted retail areas on the east coast. Like most small distillers, they at all times hope to increase to new markets.
BODY LIGHT VODKA
Physique is among the latest among the many gentle vodka manufacturers – a female-owned-and-operated firm made in North Carolina. Physique distills one gentle vodka up to now – an unflavored, impartial spirit made out of Indiana corn and sweetened with a contact of agave nectar, a pure sweetener.
The spirit is 30% ABV and 60-proof; it finishes with an opulent mouthfeel with a barely candy end.
Distribution is restricted to the east coast proper now, primarily in New York Metropolis and surrounding areas.
Apart from these three bespoke distilleries, a few nationwide gentle vodka manufacturers not too long ago entered the competitors for market share. Pure Gentle (sure, the beer brewers) now distills vodka. Additionally, Skinny Woman, the Bethenny Frankel female-centered model that appeals to health-conscious ladies, has created a lightweight vodka choice.
We will’t say we’ve tried all of them, but it surely simply goes to indicate you ways well-liked gentle vodka and lightweight vodka manufacturers have turn into.
LIGHT VODKA IS HERE TO STAY
Gentle vodka manufacturers are trending, however we have now a sense they’re not going wherever.
It’s the subsequent technology of vodka to swimsuit an energetic, more healthy way of life. So, select vodka gentle whenever you’re wanting to fulfill pals for cocktails on Friday night time with out being too fuzzy for a Saturday hike.